2017-18 Course Selection Information
Ridgewood High School will be moving from a traditional to a Wall to Wall Academy school to engage students and to ensure improved academic performance. These academies will function as a Small Learning Communities and will create a more personalized learning environment. An integral component of the academy model is the interest and career-themed approach designed to engage all students with rigorous and relevant learning. Thus preparing them for college, career, and life through the context of their interests. This initiative will also offer our students opportunities to earn industry certifications and college credit through Dual Enrollment and Advanced Placement.
Each student will select an academy based on their interests and career survey on Floridashines.org. Their elective choices reflect their academy. Students may also select courses from other academies as long as their primary elective is from their academy. Students must remain in their academy for at least one year but then may explore other academies.
Ridgewood High School Academies (Click link to see specifics about our academies and support programs.)
Academy of Business and Leadership (including ROTC)
Academy of Arts and Media Education
Academy of Sports and Medical Sciences (Sports Medicine, Health and Human Services, Biomedical Sciences (Project Lead the Way))
2017-2018 Course Selection Planning Sheets will be distributed January 30-February 1. The planning sheets are designed to give students and parents a chance to discuss the choices available – students will make the selections official via an online registration conducted through advisory sessions at school. Students are also encouraged to be conscious of their alternative course selections as classes may fill up quickly limiting requests. All students will enroll in an academy and select their electives accordingly.
- Course Selection Timeline & Checklist
- Programs of Study and Course Progressions
- Course Cards
- Ram Academic FAQs
- Advanced Placement Programs at Ridgewood – Advanced Placement courses offer students an opportunity to experience college rigor, while still in high school. These courses provide a solid foundation for post-secondary studies and help students stand out in the college admissions process. The link below is the AP Expectations Agreement that all students in Advanced Placement classes must complete. Advanced Placement Informational Flyer All students enrolled in an Advanced Placement course must complete the AP Expectations Agreement prior to entering the course.
- Dual Enrollment – Dual enrollment provides high school students with the opportunity to take college classes and potentially earn both high school and college credit. Dual enrollment classes are offered through Pasco-Hernando State College (PHSC). Classes can be taken at the PHSC campus. A student must provide his/her own transportation to PHSC.
- State University System (SUS) Admissions Tour – This document reviews the GPAs, SAT/ACT scores, and other information of the Freshman Class that was just admitted. This should be used as a reference for students so that they can think about how they are currently performing in the classroom and what they should reach for in order to be accepted potentially by the university system. SUS-Matrix Comparison Chart
Applications for Classes and Programs at RHS
Below are links to the applications that students will need for the programs that are available at RHS. Applications will also be available during online registration in February. All applications are due . Please attach to online course card or submit to Ms. Painter.
Advanced Placement Program
All Advanced Placement students must submit the Advanced Placement Agreement form to their school counselor with their course cards. AP Expectations Agreement
College is not just a dream, it is the plan! The AVID Program helps to support students in their journey to college success! AVID Informational Sheet
To be completed and attached to the course card with copies of SAT/ACT/PERT scores.
Apply to be a member of the yearbook staff, complete the application at this link.
Marchman (MTC) – See your School Counselor (Class of 18 and 19 only)
Complete the Marchman Technical College application at http://mtec.pasco.k12.fl.us/